Date: 5th June 2007

Can i marry the same girl my brother intended to marry?

Question

My brother lives in Norway and he asked a woman to marry him here in America. They have seen each other only in photos. The marriage did not work out because she did not want to go to live in Norway nor did my brother wanted to come to live here in America.  So my question is can I ask the same woman in marriage? I live in America.

Answer

According to Shariah, if your brother has shown no interest in marrying the girl, you may propose to her for marriage. However, it is important that you consult with your parents and seniors before proceeding with the proposal. It is possible that they have had some experiences with the girl or her family when proposing for your brother, and therefore their advice will be vital.