Country: Canada
Date: 1st June 2007

I hear that if you are married and your husband does not pray then your marriage in not seen as halaal or valid. Can you please expand on this and please inform me of what ayat or hadeeth that states this.

Question

Answer

In principal, if ones husband does not perform salah, he will be sinful. However, that does not invalidate the Nikah. The Nikah will remain intact. It is highly possible that the Nikah may be void of some barakah as the husband does not perform salah. The wife should use wisdom and encourage him to perform salah. The wife may also get some authentic literature about Salaah and keep it within the sight of the husband. She may also prepare leaflets about different aspects of Salah and place in different places in the house. The leaflet may have, for example, the following – Salaah is the first thing one will be accounted on the day of Qiyamah.