Answered Date: Jun 01,2007

Title: I have heard some scholars mention that al-Hakim and author of Tareekh Tabarri were Shias or with Shia tendencies?

Question

I have a question, I have heard some scholars mention that al-Hakim and author of Tareekh Tabarri were Shias or with Shia tendencies?

Answer

1. The author of Mustadrak Al Haakim, Muhammed bin Abdullah Al Haakim Al Naisapoori, was not a Shia. He was from the Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah. Some scholars have falsely attributed Shi’ism towards him, but the academics have rejected this fact and have confirmed that he was not a Shia.

Kashf-u-Zunoon Vol:6 Pg:59 (Darul Fikr)

Dars-e-Tirmizi Vol:1 Pg:48 (Maktabah Darul Uloom Karachi)

2. Abu Ja’far Muhammed bin Jareer Tabri, the author of Jamiul Bayaan fi Tafseeril Quran and Tareekhul Umam wal Mulook, was not a Shia. He was from the Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama’ah.   

There was another author, also named Abu Ja’far Tabri, who was a Shia. He also wrote kithabs on tareekh.

Some scholars have regarded both of them as one person, and attributed Shi’ism towards him; but this is a mistake, as the academics have proven that they were two different people, and only the latter person was a Shia.

Kashf-u-Zunoon Vol:6 Pg:26 (Darul Fikr)

Dars-e-Tirmizi Vol:1 Pg:251 (Maktabah Darul Uloom Karachi)

Ml. M. Jawed Iqbal,