Date: 7th May 2007

Personal Question

Question

SALAAM,

MY HUSBAND IS HAS A FERTILITY PROBLEM. WITH MY FIRST CHILD WE DID INVITRO AND WE HAD A HEALTHY GIRL.(ALHAMDILLA). I TRIED DOING INVITRO AGAIN WITH ANOTHER CHILD AND GOT PREGNANT I WAS FIVE MONTH PREGNANT WHEN THE DOCTORS TOLD ME TO TERMINATE THE BABY SINCE IT WOULD DIE IN MY TUMMY AND AFFECT MY LIFE. WHEN I LOST THE BABY THEY FOUND OUT SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH THE BABY ME AND MY HUSBAND HAVE A RECESSIVE TRAIT  THAT LEADS TO SOMEKIND OF CROMOSOME PROBLEM. SO WHEN I TRY TO DO INVITRO AGAIN I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING CALLED PGD WHERE THE CHECK THE CHROMOSOMES. AND PUT ONLY THE HEALTHY EMBROYS WITH ME IN THE INVITRO.  WITH THE PGD THEY CAN CHECK IF ITS A BOY OR A GIRL. I WAS WONDERING IF THAT IS HARAM. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A BOY SINCE I ONLY HAVE ONE GIRL AND I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST 10 YEARS. PLEASE DO NOT PUT THIS QUESTION ONLINE I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.!!!!!!!!!!

JAZAKALLAH KHAIR

BKFASHION01@AOL.COM

Answer

If a couple are experiencing difficulty in conceiving a child the natural way, it will be permissible to adopt the procedure of In Vitro Fertilisation with the condition that the sperm belongs solely to the husband and the egg belongs to the wife. It will not be permissible to use a third person’s sperm under any circumstance. (Jaami’ul Fatawa, Pg: 469, Vol: 1)

If there is a genuine fear of the child inheriting some sickness or disease from the genes of either of the parents, it will be permissible for the couple to opt for PGD as this is a form of treating a sickness. Shari’ah encourages that one undergoes treatment for sickness and disease.

It is not permissible to opt for PGD to determine the gender of the child as this will be tantamount to interfering with the system of Allah Ta’ala. One should be content with the decree of Allah Ta’ala. Allah is the wisest and chooses what is best for His servants. Allah Ta’ala mentions in the Holy Qur’aan, “He (Allah) grants female offspring to whomsoever he wishes and grants male offspring to whomsoever he wishes.” (Al Shura, Verse: 49)

يهب لمن يشاء إناثا ويهب لمن يشاء الذكور

Ml. Suhail Tarmahomed,

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

P.S Your question has not been posted.