I occasionally drink or try the mild drug like marijuanna

Question

Assalaamualaikum.

Please assist me. I have mailed before but not got a reply. Urgently need guidance.

I am a muslim male, age 28 and have just come back from Umrah. Alhamdulillah it was wonderful and overwhelming to visit the prophets grave and make duaa around the kaaba. I read most of my namaaz since I have come back and have taken even greater interest in my religion now by reading the quraan as well as the english version which truly astonishes me. I beleive in allah and mohammed (saw) as well as my religion. The problem is that I am doing something wrong. I occasionally drink or try the mild drug like marijuanna. With the job I am in it is hard and I know that is no excuse but its just that the influence is there and I admit to occasionally having. Does this make me not a muslim"? Do my namaaz and duaas mean nothing?? I will continue to pray and ask forgivness and assistance in stopping but is it true that for 40days I am not a muslim at all and what i do mean nothing?

Answer

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh.

Alhamdulillah, it brings a lot of joy to my heart that you have taken greater interest in your deen. May Allah (subhanahu wata’alla)  increase you in your effort of reformation and make you from amongst His close and special servants, Ameen. Your belief in Allah (subhanahu wata’alla) and Nabi Muhammad ( sallallahu alayhi wasallam ) was a means of you being affected by your umrah trip, recitation of Quran as well as Salaah etc. Allah (subhanahu wata’alla)  had afforded you the opportunity to perform umrah in order that it would become a stepping stone for your future success, and to abstain from those things which displease Allah (subhanahu wata’alla) .

The difficulty which you are encountered with is not major and can be remedied easily.

1. If you have a firm determination to give up this evil habit amd perform regular salaah and recite the Quraan, then this will solve your problem immediately.
  2. Keep contact with some pious person and seek his advices regularly. Inshallah, by practicing on these advices, soon you will enjoy the sweetness of Imaan, Ameen.