I am a newly married woman and my husband and I are having ....

Question

Assalaamu-alaikaum

I am a newly married woman and my husband and I are having intercourse almost every night. I have been performing ghusl diligently each morning after intercourse and before my Fajr salaah. However, recently I have been suffering with sinus problems and mild headaches and I believe it is because of washing my hair every day. I previously never suffered with these conditions as I used to wash my hair once a week because of its length. Is there any alternative ghusl procedure I could follow that will allow me to skip washing my hair everyday? Can I perform masaah of my hair instead?

Jazakallah,

Answer

It is permissible for you to make masah of your head instead of washing your head in ghusl if washing almost everyday is causing you serious headaches and other sicknesses Allaamah Shaami states “A woman should not withhold herself from her husband, i.e. out of fear of falling ill due to Ghusl (bath) becoming obligatory on her. Rather, she has been granted concession regarding washing her hair. (Raddul Muhtar, vol 1, pg 153)  

This Fatwa should not be abused for minor and trivial sicknesses. In that case the ghusal will not be valid

Ml. Ya'qoob Dadabhai,