Category: Marriage (Nikah)
Fatwa#: 14975
Asked Country: United States

Answered Date: Mar 13,2007

Title: Can we perform secret Nikah as both are parents are not agreeing?


 I need to know if it is permissible in islam to perform nikah secretly. The circumstance is that neither of our parents are going to agree at this point because according to them we are too young to get married (23 and 18 years old). The reason we want to do nikah is to protect ourselves from haram acts. Can we perform nikah (just the two of us) if we can then please explain how it should be performed. I know there have to be witnesses and nikah has to be announced but is there a way around it. If we can't then please explain in detail what we should do to control our nafs (temptations) because it is really hard for us to not see each other.


In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

There are two aspects to your query

  • Parents permission
  • Secret Nikah 

At the outset, you should understand that marriage is a major step in ones life. If this step is taken in the proper manner, one will enjoy everlasting success and bliss in the future. However, if the step is taken carelessly or in negligence, one will suffer the consequences of this forever. One great contributing factor towards the success of ones marriage is, taking the blessings of the parents and seniors.

It is therefore important that you consult with your parents before embarking on any decision. Their guidance and advice will be based on the vast experience they have of life. They understand your urge and also understand your future and certainly they will not advise you something that would be against your interest. It is important that you explain your parents the urge you have to marry. It is possible they do not see the urgency for you to marry and therefore not willing for you to marry now. You may also inform them about your fear of becoming involved in Zina and the implications that would have upon you in this world as well in the Hereafter.

If then too, your parents do not agree and you still fear becoming a victim of Zina, you may make Nikah with the girl. However, the Nikah must be performed in the presence of two muslim male witnesses.

And Allah knows best


Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa

DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.