Fatwa: # 13854
Category: Marriage
Country: Pakistan
Date: 31st January 2006


I married a woman who got separation from her husband through court i.e. marriage annuled (Tansikh-e-Nikah).


I married a woman who got separation from her husband through court i.e. marriage annuled (Tansikh-e-Nikah).

She filed a case in the court against her husband who used to beat him and threatened to even kill his son (which was his own son).  The women tried to patch up with the man but could not succeed and as a last resort filed a case in the court for Tansikh-e-Nikah in Pakistan.  The family court in Pakistan after proper hearing issued decree in favour of woman and annuled the marriage.  After completing Editat, she married with me.  Is this Tansikh-e-Nikah valid in Islamic law, keeping in mind that the court is a muslim family court in Pakistan and judges are Muslim and her marrying after Edit with me is as per Islamic rule acceptable.  Thanks for your prompt response.


In principle, if a wife does not want to continue her marriage due to a valid reason in Shari’ah, and her husband refuses to issue her a divorce, then she may present her matter to the local Ulama body and request for annulment of her marriage. If the Ulama follow and apply the procedures of annulment correctly, then their decree of annulment will be valid. Your Nikah to the woman after her Iddah will also be valid.

We are unable to comment on the validity of your annulment as we do not know what procedure was adopted.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]