Country: Pakistan

Normal way of reproduction is not valid in our case because of blockade of her tubes. Before going for test tube,I think it is necessary to know whether it is allowed in Islam or not.

Question

I am 32 year old male from Pakistan. Married since laast seven years and have no child yet. After detailed checkups it is found that normal way of reproduction is not valid in our case because of blockade of her tubes. Doctors have recommended us to go for test tube baby. Naturally going for test tube demands much more expenditure than we can afford. So far things were going in control by convincing my wife that we have to remain content on Allah?s will therefore her choice to go for test tube baby remained unactioned. Now the situation due to attitude of my parents and her emotions is getting out of control. We have almost managed to collect money to go for test tube also. Before taking this step I think it is necessary to know whether it is allowed in Islam or not. Our decision will remain pending till your reply.

Answer

You state that it is medically not possible for your wife to have a child the normal way and you have been advised to have a test tube baby.

At the outset, we wish to point out that Allah Ta?ala Alone is the Giver of children. It is not guaranteed that even IVF will be successful. Many couples are married, but cannot conceive and many married couples have so many children that they abandon and neglect them. If your wife cannot conceive the natural way and this has been confirmed by her doctor, then she may try the test tube option with the following conditions:

1. The sperm must be of the husband?s only. No other male sperm will be allowed because this will result in the child being born out of wedlock and it becoming illegitimate.

2. The sperm of the man must not be obtained through masturbation. Instead, a non-spermicide condom should be used.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best